Birthday thoughts


So, it was (is, for the next 15 minutes) my birthday today. And unlike a usual birthday, where I'd go out, meet friends, enjoy some restaurant food, maybe drink up..I spent it at home. Having a lot of thoughts. A lot.

If you relate to any of these, do leave a word. It's always nice to have your pretense regarding having a viewership substantiated.

A birthday is a day invariably spent in calling people back.

By the time I'm done with one call, I usually have 2 missed calls already. And by the time I call them..you get the point. Of course, there is also the routine stuff (like meals) when you don't want to talk, but might still get some calls. And of course, you never know what to do with the real people all around you, who you tremendously love, but can't shoot up to top priority because they haven't paid to talk to you.

If you changed phones and didn't sync contacts, it's extra fun.

No, seriously. There were conversations where one half was spent in talking to a cousin, and the next half, with a friend. And they were the same person.


You marvel at just how many people are willing to spend a few moments of their day for you (and it's a great feeling!)

It truly is. I had so many calls, texts, pings and wall posts, that the cumulative love is enough to fill my heart with love and kindness for, I hope, a long long time.

I've often been a prick with others' birthdays. Basically, 364 days a year, my philosophy remains that small-talk-type wall posts saying just too words to people I am not exactly in touch with but exist on my friend list is not cool. But of course, that one special day everything changes, where the stars align to make every single text or message or call super special for me. I suddenly fill with deep gratitude for so many people, and every once in a while, I'm reminded of what a terrible prick I am. The-rest-of-Octobers and Novembers are going to be harangued for sure.

You can't believe how many people are willing to give up sleep to call you at midnight!

A birthday lasts a full 24 hours, or so I've been told. But it's still pretty incredible that so many people stay up so they can call at midnight. I mean, last I checked, there were absolutely no awards for calling someone like me first! Except that I stay immensely thankful to that person for at least a week. :) Okay, I'm sold myself.


You rack your brains when everyone asks, "So, what's the plan for today?", because nobody told you the plan, and you didn't know if you were supposed to make one yourself.

Don't even get me started on the uncertainty of whether or not there's going to be a surprise party. Or the heavy inclination towards throwing a party yourself, so you have photos to show for the day.


Your rack your brains even more when someone asks, "So, what would you like for a gift?"

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying no to a gift. It's just that there are too many offers coming around a single day, and it always pains you when you remember you didn't make a list all through the year. So then you wonder if asking for a birthday coupon redeemable throughout the birthday year sounds too desperate.


You wonder why there is a stigma about a 2-minute birthday call.

The fact that someone still called up to wish you a happy birthday is far more important than all those months that you couldn't keep in touch with, right? But birthdays are invariably about small talk, and being awkward after so much time. That's okay! True feelings, and a small call also makes people smile, and you can always get away with "Now I'll leave you to your day, and you can call me back when you're free!".


You feel distressed because this is the one day when everyone makes time for you, and you're unable to talk to any one person at length.

There's always a friend who had to call thrice before you could talk, and then you had to hang up too soon. Or, there's always a friend who called up after a really long time, but you couldn't talk as much as you wanted to. Or, even worse, there might be a friend who tried to reach you several times and you couldn't call back, and now they're mad.


I sincerely propose that all birthdays should henceforth be a 3-day event. Persons whose name begins with the letters A-I should call on Day 1, J-R on Day 2 and S-Z on Day 3. This way, we'd all really get to catch up. And hell, who doesn't want a festival out of a birthday anyway!




The best birthday presents!

Here are a few ideas, if you can't figure out what to do for someone's birthday:
  • A birthday basket. When I turned 20, my sister prepared 20 gifts for me. A few of them were massive, she got me a laptop, an electric kettle and a cellphone. But some others were simple, a small notebook, a few pens, a book she knew I'd like. Till the end of eternity, I'm going to tell everyone how loved that made me feel, because a gift that requires so much of personal attention deserves to go into the Hall of Fame.
  • A treasure hunt! That's another great idea, send the birthday fellow on a chase for their presents. If you can, make it a wild-goose chase for them, and even if you need to keep it within your home, it makes a fun game to hear them say "I know what this is, just can't remember where it's kept!"
  • A surprise visit. Plan to pop someone as a surprise to the party, it's sure to raise the special one's spirits
  • Just do it. Seriously, if a friend's birthday is coming up and you want to get them something, don't spend too much time deliberating what to get them but just buy something already. Procrastination is the mother of all birthday-bummers.

Additionally, might I suggest..


Birthday coupons!

(Yes, for real.)
Use these to please your near and dear ones, without compromising the indolence of your creativity.
Warning: please read the coupon text carefully before presenting.








and my personal favorite..





My own birthday memories. :)

2009


2011
2013



Comments

  1. Belated birthday greetings Shivangi. The pictures of microfossils you have posted are stunning. Do keep blogging about the research work you do. I subscribe to a lot of science related podcasts. This is another perhaps more direct way of learning about a relatively little known branch of science.
    Cheers,

    Avi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Avi! Your comment made me realize I should post the source for the pictures. You'll find lots more at foraminifera.eu. Also, thank you for the encouragement, I will keep this up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that was something I kept on reading with a smile that didn't fade away for a single second. I always feel that one feels like the most special/busiest person on one's birthday. Plus, those coupons were great! :D

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a monsoon?

हिमाचल की आपदा और नागरिकों से आग्रह

Albedo, and why you should care about it