The City Center


← 12.05.2018

13.05.2018

  • I spent the next day wandering around the City Center with my Nepali colleagues who fast became my friends! :)
L to R: Rajesh, Ram Hari, me and Ishwar
[May have been my bias towards Hindi speaking people! But they're also very sweet people.]
  • The Xi'an City Wall was built in the 14th century during the Ming Dynasty under the rule of Emperor Zhu Yuanz, and remains incredibly well preserved. It affords breathtaking views of the city, and has very interesting architecture and beauty of its own.
 
 

  • Here is a cute map/infographic about the Xi'an City Wall, which I found at the Travel China Guide website (good page!):

  • We drove around on tandem cycles! If you're in Xi'an for at least a day, I sincerely suggest you visit the City Wall, preferably on a rented bike. The Wall is quite long (about 14 km., encloses about 36 sq. km. of the city) and is quite difficult to completely see on foot. Plus, I expect it to get boring quite soon that way too.

  • We stopped for lunch (guess what we had, yes, noodles) and I bravely tried to eat with chopsticks. Not sure if the discomfort is apparent on my face:
  • I saw this very interesting tree receiving nutrition from humans, on my way to the Bell Tower.
  • The Xi'an Bell Tower! A majestic, beautiful building with a quaint little museum inside. :)
    The bell was apparently struck at dawn, to wake the city up perhaps. Have a look at the inscription, and leave a comment if you know why I included that picture. ^^
    
  • The Bell Tower-Drum Tower Square. I love how there is such a lot of space just sitting there for the community to gather in and use, not clogged with buildings, roads or gardens.
  • We finished out tour with a visit to the Drum Tower, where the beating of the drum at sunset signified the end of the day for the city. I found a beautifully engraved drum in the museum inside the tower, and also quite fell in love with the view of the Bell Tower from the Drum Tower (the very last picture).

     
A beautiful city indeed! ❤️

Comments

  1. It seems to have great experience of science and culture mixed together in Xian the beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! So good to hear from you. It was certainly a very good experience. I intend to write some more posts, especially about what I learnt there. If you have a look, I do hope you'll leave feedback. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a monsoon?

हिमाचल की आपदा और नागरिकों से आग्रह

Albedo, and why you should care about it